Monday, August 16, 2004

When It Rains It Pours...

Jeepers, I just talked to Chelsea.  She called me from the hotel her family is staying at while they are getting their home repaired from Hurricane Charley.  She sounded very resigned.  She called to ask me to locate her a flight on the internet for August 28 or 29.  She then told me about the new troubles that they were having.  Her brother who is a toddler seems to be coming down with chicken pox and has a fever of 101.  Her car also broke down.  Her Dad lost his job today.  She lost all of her belongings in the hurricane -- every single one because the roof fell in and fiberglass and rain mingled with everything. 

She seems very relieved that I made her a home here already.  I finished up her bedroom which is nice and cozy and warm.  It is so freshly and happily decorated.  People are donating things for her like crazy!  Thank you, guys!  She has a new bed, dresser, night stand, decorations and clothes and can use anything of mine so I am sure she is relieved as she has been homeless since Friday and will be homeless until she gets here.  She has warm p.j.'s here and a kitty that likes to sleep in her bed.  I know it won't replace what she lost, but I do hope she can make it all her own.  I have lost all of my belongings a couple of times myself.  I know how hard it is to "start over".  My starting over wasn't from natural disaster, but from running from a dangerous partner.  Also, I have had all of my belongings stolen from me.  It is very hard to lose your photos and books and clothes and whatever possessions you have that make you what defines you and shows your personality.

I have been very happy with this new shunt!  I have been able to think more clearly and the pressure remains stable in my head.  I am amazed by the power of medicine!  If I lived just 50 years ago, there would have been no relief for me!  I would not have survived, actually.  That amazes me.  The body is a fabulous, wonderful machine.  It is not connected to a power source (although God created it!) and yet can run on its own and do many incredible actions and show its magnificence.  With just a tiny glitch though, it canbreak  down or go haywire. 

Well, it is a sleepy night and I haven't been taking care of myself in that department.  I have suffered with insomnia my entire life.  I suppose it goes along with the depression I suffer with.  I have tried everything.  If anyone has any suggestions let me know!  It is common for me to see the sun come up and for me to nap a couple times during the day.  My body just seems to want to come awake at night and get things done.  It craves the quietness and seclusion of the darkness and can perform during the night hours.  I can tell you every program that is on every TV channel throughout the night, and believe me, they are terrible!  I have been this way for 20 years or more.  I may fix it for a few days or a week or so, but I always go back to being a nocturnal being.  Tonight, though, I am going to try to sleep as I have had too much anxiety to keep this body awake.  Good night, all!    

8 comments:

  1. Gee, when it rains it pours.  And Richard lost his job.  I will be praying. -Krissy
    http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is tough all round.
    I get powerful sleeping tablets from my GP otherwsie I wouldn't sleep either.
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/sdrogerson/SpecimenDays

    ReplyDelete
  3. As if your family hasn't had enough, your given more things that are trying and upsetting in your lives. I am so happy Chelsea has you to turn to and it will be company for you as well, other than TV. I am so happy the shunt is doing its work and you feel better. I agree that technology is wonderful and we are lucky to live in this day and age when this type of thing has been discovered. I hope things do get better for you and your family after such a tough time, my thoughts and prayers are with you.........Jules xxxhttp://journals.aol.co.uk/jules19642001/Itsmylife/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice journal this is my first time here, thanks to Krissy for sending me here. I hope Chelses is ok and the rest of your fam survives the trama of Charley.
    My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know what insomnia is like.  Also know what you mean about tv programmes in the night and there is only so much time you can spend on the computer without your eyes going to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! You are VAL...Krissy's Val. LOL I know all about you. ;-) Thanks for stopping by my journal! Glad to hear you are recovering nicely from your surgery. I read back to the beginning of your journal. I thought I was in for a full day's read since I saw your start date was January, but surprise! You jumped from February to August.

    Your poor daughter. I don't think I would take the loss of all my stuff, at her age, as well as she has so far. And what kind of heartless comglomerate lays off a man who was just rendered homeless?!? That just sucks! Reminds me of the time I was let go the week before Christmas. I mean SHEESH.  Hope they are able to get back into a real home soon.
    -B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I was pretty sick from Feb. through Aug.  Her Dad did something pretty darn stupid to get laid off, and hasn't kept a job longer than eight months in his life.  That is one of the big reasons she wants to come live with me.  Thanks so much for stopping by.  I am trying to figure out who you are??  I have met so many people in the last few weeks!  

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for stopping by my journal........i read your first entry and I wish that there was something that I could do for Chelsea and her family........it must be rough how old is she??
    I feel as if I already know you through Krissy:)
    I have a birthday party to go to today so I wont be online at all but will be back to visit your journal
    take care and I will keep Chelsea and her family in my thoughts and prayers right along with you :)
    talk to you soon
    Chelle
    http://journals.aol.com/chellebelle1977/chellesjournal

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts - fun, intelligent, silly, joyful, spacy - it matters not =)