Sunday, November 19, 2006

"Wordplay"!, etc...


             
         
  
            "
He who thanks but with the lips, thanks but in part;  The
              full, the true Thanksgiving comes from the heart
.
"
                                                                                       -J. A. Shedd


Happy Sunday all my journal buddies!  Wow, Thanksgiving is in four days!  I just realized that.  I thought I had a little more time.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving this year!  I don't think I'm doing anything special with family this year.  I may just spend it with my boyfriend at my home.  The last few years I went to Krissy and John's, but with John being so ill, I think I will just stay home.  I am not someone who likes to cook a big meal (or even a small one... LOL) too often, so we may have to go out and hunt down a Thanksgiving meal.  I don't know.  We shall see.

                                          

Time for "Wordplay"!  I thought I would talk about mnemonics today.  I have used mnemonics a lot in my lifetime as I have had memory problems from my Chiari Malformation and my shunt.  Mnemonics is defined (from Merriam Webster) as a technique for improving the memory.  I think that definition sounds too simple, but that is what it says.  Mnemonic is defined as: (n) a mnemonic device or code.  If I am out and need a few things from the store, I will often take the first letters of the few things I need and form a mnemonic code from them.  For example, if I need bananas, oranges and soup, I will take the b, the o, and the s and come up with BOS and then think of the word BOSS perhaps and then picture a boss in my head.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  I just have to remember it.  I do this in pictures, too.  If I need cat food, hamburger, laundry detergent, and a certain magazine I might picture my cat sitting on the washing machine eating a hamburger and reading a magazine.  It works!  I am familiar with two very famous mnemonic codes off the top of my head right now.  The first one is ROY G. BIV.  This represents the colors of the rainbow in order - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.  The second is My very educated mother just served us nine pickles.  These are the planets in our solar system in order.  Now that Pluto is no longer a planet, I guess we have to knock the pickles off.  LOL  I will change it to, My very educated mother just served us nachos!  We don't get served nine anything anymore.  LOL  So, do you know any famous mnemonics?  Any obscure onesDo you have any of your own personal mnemonic codes that you have made up to help yourselfIf not, can you think of one now?  Let us know in the comments section!  If you do this as an entry in your own journal, please come back and leave your entry URL so we can have a look see!

I will be doing the Monday Morning Question and listing the Photo Scavenger Hunt participants as well as a Hunt subject tomorrow because
Krissy
will be busy at the hospital with John.  I hope you all can come back tomorrow morning and see the postings!  If you can't, do have a blessed and safe holiday week!  Hugs, Val xox

 
        "
Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare.  They are 
      consumed in twelve minutes.  Half-times take twelve minutes.  
      This is not a coincidence.
"
                                                                                    - Erma Bombeck

             
                      
                    

11 comments:

  1. GRACE: God's Riches At Christ's Expense.  I've got some more but will have to find them.  My colours of the rainbow is Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.
    Jenny <><
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jennyp51/stop-the-clock-times-moving-too-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never used them. I do use the picture technique to remember some names. Always have. I associate names with objects.....Like a Mrs. Weinstein would be a beer mug full of wine. : )

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Val! Does this qualify? 30 days has September, April, June and November; all the resst have 31 except in Leap Year when that's the time February's days are 29. Blessings, Deb ;-)

    http://journals.aol.com/sassydee50/SassysWORD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought of another one! All Good Boys Deserve Favor A_G_B_D_F. Good Deeds Are Ever Bearing Fruit G-D-A-E-B-F. First is treble clef notes and second is bass.
    xox Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one called "BSO".  It helps me remember what to put in the laundry machine.  First I put in the baking soda.  Then the soap. Then the Oxy-Clean.    Now how I exactly remember the BSO, is Big Socks Only.  How is that for a pneumonic, LOL?

    Krissy
    http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are things I have to remember every day - GOOB is one - like Goober's - Get Out Of Bed - It seems silly - but it's too easy for me to stay in bed. Next is MM - My Meds - I think of M&M's - for my morning meds the rest of the day I have an alarm set on my cell.  I seem to be forgetting a lot of everday things lately so I have been writing down things with the first letterof what I need to do next.  Doesn't always work for me, though - I forget what the names mean and I have to look at my "cheat sheet".  A blessed and happy Thanksgiving to you, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Val,
    My name is Jim and I loved your post on mnemonics. I've published a few memory books that help kids improve their memory the fun way using, among other things, mnemonics.

    Here's a link to a free report for any family whose kids are having memory problems in school.

    Hope it helps. Feel free to distribute it as you see fit.

    http://www.memorizing-made-easy.com/improvememory.pdf

    Thanks,
    Jim
    http://memorizing-made-easy.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. (((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))))))You are a great Sis to always being there for Krissy and JohnI will be back Monday to check out both of the games,I never played and been wanting to,just didnt have much time,but,will try and check it out.Hope you also have a blessed Thanksgiving.Even thoe,I will still be around till than.lol.HAve a nice night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your wordplay and the comments are have some good ones.    I am drawing a blank right now myself.     mark

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed this a lot.  I didn't even really know what mnemonics were.  But I have used the them to remember things myself, sort of.  For instance when my husband's company's office went to a long 800 number even to the local store, plus a 4 digit extension number, I could'nt never remember all of these.  Finally, I put something of meaning to them.  Like, 1-800-then the #- the longer number, I remembered by doing this:  my Mom's age at the time, my age at the time my son went to school, and the age I was when I'd had my last two surgeries.  I never had trouble again!  I need to improve my memory more, and this is a good idea, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use them all the time.  Esp when I am helping the kids remember something.  I have found that singing what they need to remember helps tremendously.  My oldest granddaughter could NOT remember my phone number until I made up a silly song with my number in it.  She never had trouble after that. LOL
     Am so sad that John is back in the hosp. again. I know they hoped to be home for the holidays. I wrote a  comment in Krissy's journal but I want you to know I am praying for you all.  Love ya, Barb  

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts - fun, intelligent, silly, joyful, spacy - it matters not =)