Thursday, February 23, 2006

"Wordplay" #7!...

 

Congratulations to Jody from Jo's Journal (which is private) for being the first correct guesser of "Up Close".   It was a picture of a mallard duck!  The duck had it's beak and neck nestled back onto it's chest.  Can you see it now?  Dawn (princessaurora) was also a correct guesser.  Atleast they saw the duck!  LOL  Here is your blue ribbon, Jody... 

                     

Rich (sanforized6) was close and guessed a parakeet.  Gee, I got alot of funny guesses this time.  I got alot of interesting animals =).

I was a day behind in my mind yesterday and thought it was Tuesday and forgot to post "Wordplay".  Ooops.  So, sorry I am a day late, everyone.  I thought I would talk about pets today.  I notice that people have interesting names for pets.  Sometimes pet owners name their pets one thing and the pet ends up being called another thing later by their behavior.  Sometimes their names are shortened and they are called the shortened name.  Sometimes the spelling is very interesting.  I have heard so much about people's pets in their journals and am often fascinated by pets and their names.  Here is today's "Wordplay"...

                             

Do you have a pet(s)What is his/her nameHow did you come up with this name(s) Has your pet's name been changed through time How do you spell your pet's name and if it is an interesting spelling how did you come up with itTell me a bit about your petYou can tell me about childhood pets as well.  If you can send me a picture of your pet(s) I would LOVE it and will put it in my next entry for everyone to see!!!  I PROMISE!!  If you want to do this as an entry in your journal please come back and leave the URL to your entry so I can go read it!   Otherwise, leave answers in comments.   Again, I would love to see your pets!!

I have always had kitty cats for pets.  I have two kitty cats right now.  My 5 1/2 year-old kitty's name is Honey.  Her original name was Joy.  Actually, her full name was Joy Faith.  When I got Honey, she was just so sweet and docile that she immediately turned from Joy into Honey-Honey.  Then I shortened it to Honey.  It is said in a certain way.  She certainly is a "honey" because she is just the sweetest, most gentle cat I have ever had.  I found it was too hard to say Joy anyway.

                   

My second cat is Baby.  His original name was JoJo.  He was rescued at around three weeks old from a man named Joe.  Her Mama had abandoned her.  I got her from my neighbor upstairs and she affectionately named him after his rescuer.  My neighbor became allergic to him so I took him in.  He was so, so tiny so I called him "the baby" all the time.  That quickly turned into Baby.  Baby is also easy to say.  JoJo was not a name I would pick and he was so small that he wasn't used to the name anyway.  He is NOT a "baby" anymore!  He is 17 pounds now and 15 months old!  Names for him could be Moose, Bull, Dog, Killer, Psycho, etc.  He is very active and keeps me on my toes!  I guess he will always be "the baby", though.  Honey does keep Baby in his place at times.  She does rule the roost.  She lets him know that she was here first!

                   


How about YOUR pets?

 

19 comments:

  1. I have three inside cats and several outside cats. The girls are inside. I live way out in the country and it is the perfect place to set out unwanted cats. My inside cats are Sara, she is my yellow cat. She is so sweet. Then there is Amber. She is a calico. She likes to torture me. See Random Thoughts. Next is her twin Sabrina. She is sweet too. I like human names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie!  Tiny told me to leave you a link here to her story...so here it is  http://journals.aol.com/mastersblynn/ConfessionsOfAnAngelWaitress/entries/1162 Enjoy! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cat and a parakeet smokey is the cat cuz he is a russian blue and cats from that class are all grey with kinda a bluish tint to it and he is 5 years old and my parakeet is 5 years old also and her name is sunshine and i gave her the proper name cuz soon a little bit of sun peeks through the window she likes to wake people up a little aggravating but i still love her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Val,

    I have Jake, my black Lab.  He came to us through a rescue society and his name was origianally Phys , pronounced Fizz.  I had absolutely no intention of calling him that and I`ve always liked Jake or Jack.  Jim and I settled on Jake because it just seemed to suit him and he answered to it straightaway, most likely because he hated being called Phys...lol!  By the way, your cats are very cute and I love their names.  I don`t think I`d call a cat JoJo either. :o)

    Sandra xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's mine

    http://journals.aol.com/lv2trnscrb/Ofmini-pawsandmenopause/entries/325
    betty

    Loved your pets, Val :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. my wonderful little baby, who will be 3 in july whose name is pumpkin, was given that name by me. when i got her at the shelter, her name was cheddar. yuk, she is an orange and white beauty. her color is more pumpkin than cheesey. she sleeps under my left arm all night. she is my comfort, my best friend, and she does not even talk back to me, whatever i say to her is o.k. to see her picture, visit my journal. roberta      berts world









    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your kitties Val!  Here is my entry!!!

    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/entries/1639

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kritters are very pretty. : )

    My dog is named Ellie. She got her name because I was actually looking for a male dog to name Elvis. Couldn't do it to a female dog. LOL!

    Think about how much fun (for me) it would have been to have a male dog named Elvis.......I could say:
    Come and give me a big kiss, Elvis.
    Want to sleep on the bed, Elvis.       LOL.....Sick huh? But funny. LOL!

    But I fell in love with Ellie's big eyes. My daughter had a cockapoo named Ellie. If I can find it, I'll send you a pic of both of them sleeping together. Ellie is a white purebred Shepherd puppy, so she's smaller than she will be at full grown......She will one day be about 185 pounds. Let me go see if I have the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cats are pretty.  Here is a link to my entry.  http://journals.aol.com/queenb8261/DiaryofaMadwoman/entries/1069
    Love ya!  Barb  

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there.  I read your journal and another one on a regular basis.  I normally just read it.  Its very rare that I comment.  I love your journal please keep it up.  I have to tell you that it really helps me to get through what I am going through a bit better.  Briefly I have lupus, ostoarthritis, diabetes, relapsing polychondritis and arthritis.  Oh yeah and I am pre menopausal or some would call it pre homicidal or pre suicidal.  (lol).  I also must apologize because I have no idea how to put pictures on except to send them directly.  I will try though.  Thanks again for your journal it is very uplifting.

    Bruce Lee @ 2 Years Old.  She is much bigger now look at the other picture.

    She basically lays around wherever she wants to lay.

    Scarface I got next.  He is a boy and he is 2 years old.

    The next baby I got was Sidney Yankee.  He is a miniature long hair daschund and 18 months old.


    Then I got Serenity.  She is a Domesticated Rat.  



    Yesterday I got Nino Brown he is a boy or a girl I am not sure which yet.  I do know that it is 8 weeks old.  



    Here are all the babies decided that they wanted togetherness and they all jumped into Scarface's cage.  

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops.  I forgot to include the pictures.  I figured out how to add my own journal.  I hope you enjoy looking at my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello friend a duck hugh lol well i tryed her is my pets i will try to send pics this weekend our little boy is peewee he is a chuichia and we found him limping in the rain and brought him home he has been with us eveersince and now is a daddy he came with us all the way fromn calif then there is cleo we got her 2 christmas ago she is really guil;as dog and a brown chiuchia too seh is named foxy cleoptra lol by guila and she is a new mommy to 4 adorable babies who have no name yet then we have a ferret named socks we got him when we moved here and we also got a kitten black we call him midnight and hannah calls him baby then we found a partially blibnd kitty in the street we call it baby too lol then a boy cat adopted us when we moved in he is crosseyed we call him big kitty lol is that enought pets for you lol have a good day GOd bless kelley

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello friend a duck hugh lol well i tryed her is my pets i will try to send pics this weekend our little boy is peewee he is a chuichia and we found him limping in the rain and brought him home he has been with us eveersince and now is a daddy he came with us all the way fromn calif then there is cleo we got her 2 christmas ago she is really guil;as dog and a brown chiuchia too seh is named foxy cleoptra lol by guila and she is a new mommy to 4 adorable babies who have no name yet then we have a ferret named socks we got him when we moved here and we also got a kitten black we call him midnight and hannah calls him baby then we found a partially blibnd kitty in the street we call it baby too lol then a boy cat adopted us when we moved in he is crosseyed we call him big kitty lol is that enought pets for you lol have a good day GOd bless kelley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Val,
    Loved seeing the photo's of Honey and Baby. Honey reminds me of my daughters cat, she (Honey) is gorgeous.  I am leaving a link for my entry.
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/kokoapuffy1/---/entries/505     ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Honey and Baby... Meet Raisin, Casper, Kirby and Cocoa.
    http://journals.aol.com/fasttrack58/FootprintsintheSand/entries/2515
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Val,this is fun ,we have a SharPei ,he came from a rescue centre ,and is/was called Scooby and quite looks like the cartoon character ,so we saw no reason to change his name ,he himself has crossed eyes and is a character,picture on my journal lol  ...........Jan xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeadie05/Serendipity/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Val, I did one comment but dont know where it went. So if you get two from me you will know why.  My cats name is Smokey(Smo-Cat).He is head of household.  He is long and lean and sleeps on my back and puts his face in my hair.  My other baby whos name is Sundown(Boo) is a ball of dark grey cuddly cat who lays around and could careless what is going on in world.  I got both cats from Humane Society.  Smokey was 3 weeks and had to bottle feed him.  Boo had been abused and had a broken hip and leg and his tail was cut in two different places.  They are my kids and I love them lots.
       I hope you are feeling okay.....I havent read your journals for a while so of course dont know whats going on..

                            love and hugs       Myke

    ReplyDelete
  18. MY PET IS IN MY JOURNAL LOOKIE OUT ALOT OF THEM LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Apparently Honey settles any bru-ha-ha  cat involvement at your house.    I just wanted to use bru-ha-ha.    My dog Salty is featured:http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/landscapeartwork/entries/1121
    His name is because he had so much white when I got him and is now getting more of the cream/tan coat on his back and his ears are buttescotch color.   He hates having his nail clipped, and will fight me so that I can not get them cut after holding on to him past two clippings if I'm luckey.   Also Salty Dog is the name in a wood carving years ago.  Procal Harum has a song that uses "Salty Dogs" which stands for sailors.   I do not know if he was dumped in the country or ran off and he hates fireworks no matter how far away.   My former dogs were: Uriah,Chile, and Rascal.     mark

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts - fun, intelligent, silly, joyful, spacy - it matters not =)